Eoghan Keating was just short of his 2nd birthday when he attended with his parents at the A&E Department of Waterford Regional Hospital, with a high temperature and tummy-rash.
He was discharged following a diagnosis of mumps and his parents were told to give him ibuprofen and Calpol if his symptoms continued. During the night he also developed a swelling on his neck and became lethargic. His parents contacted their doctor who instructed them to return to the hospital, where he was diagnosed with Chicken Pox and was transferred to Our Lady’s Hospital in Dublin.
Unfortunately, the delay in correctly diagnosing Eoghan’s condition, led to his suffering a brain injury due to infection and he is now, at 6 years of age, a tetraplegic and unable to talk.
The HSE admitted liability and an interim settlement of €2.5M was agreed and subsequently approved by Mr. Justice Kevin Cross. At the approval Hearing, the general manager of Waterford Regional Hospital read an apology to the Court and to the family for their deficiencies in care.